Friday, March 9, 2007

Reward, Flow, and Iteration

Iteration is one of the most important factors of play. Iteration is when the player has the option of repeating a game (or level) already played. Personally good iteration in a game for me is very important as it allows the player to repeat the level expanding the game.

When comparing two games, if we look at Doom II and Age of Empires II. It is easy to see which game has excellent iteration and which one does not. Looking at doom II, once I completed the level, I found it easy to repeat the level, as the same monsters would appear on the game and I would know exactly where to go. This is an example of a poor iteration. When looking at age of empires II is set in a far more of an open world, with better artificial intelligence, thus making the game far more random therefore harder/ or different to play than previous. An excellent example of iteration within games.

Reward in games is another important factor of Play, especially in games. Games need to be pleasurable in order for them to be fun. The pleasure pain factor allows the gamer to enjoy the game, but also loose the game. If The player won all the time then it would not be any fun winning. To examine in video games a good example of this would be Amped 3. When I won competitions I could unlock the next competition or the next level. If I lost or did not get enough points then I would not pass. A good example of the pleasure- pain theory.

No comments: